Winning teams will create eight digital solutions to improve the city’s education infrastructure,
boost tourism and improve crisis management
The Athens Digital Lab welcomes eight new teams of entrepreneurs poised to develop solutions to the city’s most pressing challenges. The teams build upon Mayor Georgios Kaminis’ commitment to empower and leverage the talent of the city’s entrepreneurs.
As part of the City of Athens’ Digital Roadmap, the Athens Digital Lab was launched by the City of Athens, in October 2017, to bring together entrepreneurs, government, and tech companies to collectively develop digital solutions to the city’s most pressing challenges. This innovative lab is funded with an exclusive grant from the Stavros Niarchos Foundation (SNF) in partnership with the Athens Partnership, and implemented with support from leading tech companies COSMOTE and Nokia.
Since its launch, four digital solutions have been incubated at the Lab including the creation of a smart waste management system, a green management system, a ground-breaking data marketplace and a public space management system. Each of these solutions has been piloted by the City of Athens.
The newest group of entrepreneurs were selected from 90 applications focused on the following themes: Crisis Management, Schools Infrastructure, Sanitation, Tourism, or an Open Theme. Selected teams will be residents at a fully equipped Lab housed in the Serafeio Sports, Culture and Innovation Complex, and mentored by distinguished experts from COSMOTE and Nokia. In addition, each team will receive:
1. The necessary technological equipment (hardware and software) to pilot their concept
2. Technical support and guidance from officials of the municipality of Athens, COSMOTE and Nokia
3. Access to Nokia’s specialized Ιnternet of Things platform, IMPACT
4. Access to COSMOTE’s Narrowband IoT (NB-IoT) network
The Athens Digital Lab new resident teams are:
● City Museum, AR tour guide, showcasing the least known monuments, transforming Athens in an open-air museum
● FREATiot, flood / pipe prevention device
● GarCTOS, garbage collection and transportation optimization system
● ΙntelliWaste, a sophisticated waste management system
● MaGOS, A portable human-computer interaction device, tracking finger movement in a modern AR/VR environment
● Narratologies, IoT enabled walks, an immersive experience of myths and tales that represent the hidden imaginary of the city.
● sCoolSense, creating the “school of tomorrow” with the use of sensors, IoT devices and the active engagement of teachers and parents
● SpaceStudents, in-class engaging game simulating a space colony, educating students to recycling and optimal use of resources and energy, highlighting the value of sustainability.
More information about Athens Digital Lab and the terms of participation can be found at www.athensdigitallab.gr or on their social media pages on Facebook and Instagram.ΟΡΟΙ ΣΥΜΜΕΤΟΧΗΣ